Oversight and Support for Property Managers
Preservation Financing for Long-Term Affordability
MassHousing is committed to preserving the affordable rental housing that already exists in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Our seasoned and knowledgeable underwriting teams work with owners of multifamily rental housing to develop creative, best-in-class refinancing options that
- Preserve affordable rents for the long-term
- Fund upgrades to the properties, including energy efficiency improvements
- Provide the best financial and mission outcomes for borrowers
Optimizing Portfolio Performance
The relationship between MassHousing and our multifamily borrowers doesn't end when the loan is closed. MassHousing takes a proactive and long-term approach to overseeing the rental housing we finance.
Our asset management professionals have deep experience in subsidized housing operations and management. They work closely with management and site staff to ensure the assets are well-managed and maintained and the resident experience is successful. Our teams
- Conduct annual reviews of the physical and financial condition of more than 500 MassHousing-financed rental housing developments
- Manage the accounting and distribution of millions of dollars of state and federal subsidies that support these apartments
Supporting property managers and residents
MassHousing was a pioneer in "going beyond bricks and mortar" to foster successful residential communities. It started in the 1980s with our Tenant Assistance Program (TAP), which sought to address the problem of alcohol and substance abuse in subsidized housing communities.
TAP has grown in the ensuing decades and now provides a vast array of programs for residents as well as trainings, conferences, workshops and other learning opportunities for site staff and resident services coordinators (RSCs). Our staff facilitates access to dispute resolution, information on how to address hoarding by residents and other timely challenges in property management.